By Michael Ricotta On 29 Dec 2022
Making a great impression with your significant other’s parents is a vital part of the journey toward engagement and the eventual marriage. The relationship dynamics between the newcomer, taking the hand of Daddy’s little girl or Momma’s handsome boy can be complicated. Not to mention all the other stressors that come from wedding planning like where to host, the cake, the registry, (although, we think that's easy!) Let’s make at least one process less messy by going over the best practices concerning wedding gifts for parents.
Firstly, let's go over the why. The parents are likely covering a decent percentage if not the entire bill for the wedding festivities. In addition…they raised you! This is a special moment for them as well, and they deserve a gift showing your appreciation.
Maybe it’s a small trinket on their mantle that holds a sense of nostalgia for the wonderful experience on your special day. You could also give them the gift of relaxation like a spa treatment or even a trip with personal time spent with you. Before we get into the specifics of gifts, let’s take a step back and talk about strategies when buying wedding gifts for parents.
- You can both purchase gifts together for the parent(s)
- This allows a little less pressure on the bride & groom individually.
- The Bride & Groom can buy for their respective parents.
- Can be preferred as gift giving is easier having a better sense of their likes.
- The Bride & Groom can buy for their in-laws.
- Shows a sign of respect and a great way to connect if your relationship is not entirely developed yet.
Now, let’s talk about individual wedding gifts for Parents that are fitting for each of the potential 4 parents involved. If your family is not of the traditional Man + Woman/Father + Mother combination we mean no disrespect and hope the gift options below are still fitting regardless of your family dynamics:
- Father of the bride gifts and Father of the groom gifts:
- High-end Whisky/Liqour is always a great gift. It lasts awhile (one hopes) and allows you & the event to pop into Pop’s head (pun intended) whenever he pours a high ball. If he likes Rye and a good story behind his Whiskey I recommend Jefferson’s Ocean. Each batch goes on its own Voyage around the world through various temperatures before docking back at its original departing location.
- For your Golf Dad’s why not get something practical? A nice Golf jacket, rain proof, pull over or zipper up is always needed. It doubles as a quick coat to put on when running to the store, and makes Dad look neat and slick out on the course. We will list a bunch of options in our list below.
- For the more studious Father’s, a year subscription to Audible’s highest membership is under $200. Dad can electronically read or listen to as many books as he pleases through this membership. Give him the gift you know he wants, but is too stubborn to buy himself.
- Mother of the bride gifts and Mother of groom gifts
- Mom may be equally if not more stressed than you for the wedding. Some high-end facial products may be needed to erase the years that were put on during the stressful time. We will list options in our list below.
- An ornament can be a timeless gift and doesn’t have to be seasonal specific. Yes, she’ll use it during the holidays, but it's during that time where family and memories mean the most. It can be something that is a wedding specific reminder or maybe more personal from childhood. We will list options on where to buy high-end ornaments or design your own.
- Retail therapy may be in order here also. If Mom loves to shop why not get her a gift card to a place she would never think about going with her own money. Again, think higher-end or some sort. Think Sur-LaTable, SaksFifthAve, etc.
We have more gifts on this list
Couples Parent Gifts
If rather than buying wedding gifts for parents individually you decide to buy each set of parents something they can enjoy together think:
Spa Treatments, Concert Tickets, Sporting Events, Expensive Restaurant Gift Card, Private Lesson for something they both enjoy.
Whatever route you go they will be appreciative and you will feel relieved in showing your appreciation for family on your special day.