on 17 May 2021 on 17 May 2021
If you have a baby on the way, you might be wondering how you can put together the best baby registry possible. A baby registry can be massively helpful, allowing your friends and family to see what you need, and allowing you to stay organized. You don't want to miss this chance to ask for things you will actually use. But if it's your first child, you might be at a loss with where to start your list. There are a lot of exhaustive lists out there, but there are some essentials that they all have in common. If you want to be fully prepared for your newborn's arrival, here's what you'll need to include on your registry:
- Infant Car seat: This is the best baby registry pick number one for a reason. You’re going to need one of these to put your baby in when you come home from the hospital and drive 5 miles per hour because suddenly 35 miles per hour seems like racecar driving. If your baby loves the lullaby of wheels on the road and that cozy car seat, you may end up taking drives around the block more than you ever thought possible.
- Stroller: If this is your first baby, you might be nervous to get back into the world. But you’re going to want to get out at some point. When choosing a stroller for your baby registry, take your lifestyle into consideration: Do you live in an apartment in the city? You probably want a narrow, lighter stroller that can roll over city streets. Do you run every morning? You may find that taking your baby for those runs are the best naps they get and you’re taking care of yourself at the same time.
- Baby Carrier: A baby carrier keeps you cuddled close with your baby, lets you do things around the house, and it makes going up and down stairs a lot easier than with a stroller. There are many varieties out there so trying on different ones in a store or borrowing one from a friend to see how you like it is a good idea before you add a specific one to your registry.
- Crib, Mattress, and Crib Sheets: This is a place where you can choose based on the design and size of your space. You will need a mattress that fits into the crib snugly so there are no gaps, firmer than you might think because babies need support, and you might also want to consider buying a mattress manufactured without any harmful chemicals. You’ll need crib sheets to look pretty, and you’re going to need more than one to handle the spit up and diaper blow outs.
- Newborn Clothes: Newborn size clothing is something you shouldn’t get a lot of because your baby will outgrow them quickly but add some to your baby registry because most clothing gifts will be for bigger babies.
- Bottles, Breast Pump, Formula: If you are breastfeeding exclusively and won’t be away from your baby ever, skip this part. But if you are breastfeeding and will go back to work and/or want someone else to take a turn, or you’re exclusively bottle feeding, or a mix of the two, you will need bottles, a breast pump, and/or formula.
- Burp Cloths and/or Bibs: Don’t underestimate how many burp cloths you need, they’re handy for everything!
- Diapers and Wipes: Wipes are also something you can never have too many of but resist the urge to put too many of one size diaper on your registry because all babies are different, and you never know what’s going to fit those delicious little thighs the best.
- Baby monitor: Not everyone wants a baby monitor, but it’s great for peace of mind, especially in those first months. Just remember that babies make a lot of weird noises when they sleep!
- Baby Tub and Toiletries: Baby tubs aren’t expensive and are super helpful in those first months when you’re bathing your small squirmy baby! It’s also good to add a variety of price points to your baby registry.
There you have it! If you include these essentials, you'll make the best baby registry possible to share with your excited family, friends, and acquaintances. You can add more items as you come up with them, and personalize your registry to match your taste and needs. But now that you know you aren't missing anything vital, you can relax and enjoy this exciting time in your family's life.
We have more gifts on this list